Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Easton's Birth Story

Today was Easton's due date if he didn't end up coming a month early, so I thought today was a good day to share Easton's birth story.

The morning of Saturday, November 23rd seemed just like any other day during the last trimester of my pregnancy. I had been waking up more frequently to go to the bathroom (he definitely was down on my bladder) and at around 8:30am that morning I jumped out of bed because I had the sudden urge to pee and... bam! (did I just pee myself?) I ran into the bathroom sat down and it seemed like I did. My heart skips a beat.. my water did not just break?! it's not even December yet!? I panicked. I was scared to wake up my husband and I was scared to go back to bed. I didn't believe it until I started having contractions right there in the bathroom. (I also called my mom freaking out) I woke up my husband and told him not to freak out but that my water broke and it's time.
The night before we went out to dinner since it was my first official week of maternity leave at work (last day was on Tuesday) and we talked about how we planned on getting everything ready for baby on Saturday including packing hospital bags (that's right NOTHING was ready yet) So while we were waiting for my doctor to call us back I franticly ran around pulling out clothes and stuff that I thought we would need right away at the hostipal and put other stuff aside for my husband to grab later.
We got to the hospital and checked in. Yes, in fact my water broke and it was time. "I'm not ready" is all I kept saying to my husband and we laughed how that day was supposed to be the day we set up everything for baby. Well, it seemed like the baby had other plans.

Since my water broke on it's own, I was more prone to infection so they had to give me antibiotics and speed up my contractions and get me dilated faster. My body must have been ready because my body took over the medicine they gave me and my contractions started coming really fast and intense. I received an epidural and I could not have been happier about that decision. I understand some woman want to give birth naturally with no drugs, and I give them credit. (If you are able to and have the option, I highly recommend having the epidural done.) Once I had the epidural, I was finally calm. I jumped from being 1cm at 10am to 4cm at 1pm to 6cm at 4pm  to 10cm at 7pm. It had happened so quickly, I was going to be meeting my son soon! The nurses had me wait an hour before I started pushing, so that the baby's head would come down even lower and make it easier to push him out. When it came time to push I started freaking out because I was able to feel my left leg again and I DID NOT want to feel any pain. Luckily, my leg was the only body part from the waist down that I felt. I pushed for 50 mins and at 8:51 pm, (after 12 hrs and 21 mins of labor) I welcomed my first child Easton James at 6lbs 11oz and 20.5 inches long. He was perfect. 
My husband and I were filled with a mix of emotions. I just couldn't believe he was finally here. The first time he was on my chest I instantly fell in love. 
Easton's birth was the most incredible experience in my life, I will never forget the first moments with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment