Wednesday, August 7, 2013

DIY: Framed Chalkboard

Since I started my blog, I've been trying to find the time to get my framed chalkboard done. I finally pushed my husband to help me do it so I could finally have it done and hung up. I always thought it would take me a lot longer to make this, but it was actually really easy. (besides waiting for paint to dry)



I found this frame at the local Goodwill for 10 dollars and it was in really good shape. I cleaned off all the dust and dirt and laid it outside to get spray painted.



I covered up the glass with regular computer paper and it did the trick. (I made sure to tape down the paper to each other and onto the actually glass of the frame to make sure that it wouldn't move while it was being sprayed.)



Since I'm obviously pregnant, I made my husband go outside and do the spray painting for me. (I picked white since I wasn't sure where I was going to hang the frame, so I decided to go neutral.)
I had him do 3 coats to make sure none of the brown would show through.



We let it dry outside for 30 mins so I wouldn't breathe in any of the fumes before we brought it inside to finish drying and get ready to paint with the chalkboard paint.



I used Martha Stewart chalkboard paint that I found at Michael's, however you could use any type of chalkboard paint. I just really like this brand of paint for crafts. I did two coats of paint and let dry 24 hours before removing the tape around the frame.



After removing the tape, I had to do some touch ups around the frame that I missed or was pulled off by the tape, and then let that dry before I hung on the wall.



This lovely frame is now in our kitchen so we can write messages to each other and count down til baby gets here!


No comments:

Post a Comment